29/12/2012

2013 3d art goals.

That time has come back around again, Christmas is just about done with for another year and people start thinking up new year's resolutions that they attempt to keep in the coming months.
I'm not sure if it's the same for everyone, but I'm not quite sure where 2012 has gone; it has definitely been the quickest year that I can remember. I have just kept studying 3d art, improving over the last 12 months whilst and working around my part-time job, that's about it really. It's always good looking back to January and seeing how far your artwork has come in that short space of time though. The effort does (and is) paying off, for sure.
So, on the topic of making new year's resolutions, I have typed up a list of 3d study-related goals that I will strive to achieve in this coming year.
  • A fairly general one to start with; I want to continue to improve my 3d modelling, texturing and digital sculpting.
  • Find a work placement to gain some invaluable industry experience. This is a big goal for me in 2013 and one of the most important on this list.
  • Continue to work on personal 3d projects, bulking my portfolio up to 5-7 polished pieces of artwork, showing off a variety of subject and art style of things I love to create.
  • Whilst working around personal artwork, try to stick to my schedule and get Train2Game work done too. Since July I hit a brick wall with the coursework, coming to a stage that requires to model, rig and skin a character and study a whole book on animation; two of my biggest dislikes.
  • Make time to practice some digital painting. Since starting my studies of 3d two years ago, there hasn't been a whole lot of time to dedicate to traditional 2d work. In the new year I want to improve my 2d, in particular environment and prop concept art.
  • Attend some gaming events. In the last couple of years I have been unable to attend events such as Eurogamer, Develop and game jams, this new year will be different.
  • Last but not least, an optimistic extra. This one is not something I 100% aim to achieve in 2013, but if I can manage to get my foot into the door of the industry, it would certainly make my year!
There we go, that's a handful of goals I aim to achieve in the next twelve months. What are you targets for 2013?

A big thank you to anyone who has given up some of their valuable time to read any of my blog posts this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment